Search This Blog

Thursday 27 April 2017

Database Review by Library PTS (Part Time Student Librarian) - Using BMJ Best Practice


http://bestpractice.bmj.com.ezp.imu.edu.my/best-practice/welcome.html
 Click the logo to access the database


1.   Which feature(s) I like the most about the database?
I like the simple interface that BMJ offers. It has a menu where subtopics of the disease can easily be accessed in a click. It is extremely user-friendly. I also like the way the references are made into a hyperlink and you can just click on it and it will lead you to the article.

Hyperlinks to contents.

Link to articles.


2.   Has the database benefit you in your learning process?
Yes, this database is helpful when you want to get to know of a disease overview. It does not go into a mouthful of details, but it highlights the gist of the disease, which is what you would want when you’re looking for a broad idea about the topic, but want a reliable source to read from.

3.   Does the database suit you or any other programs and why?
I am a medical student. I will say this database is very suitable for medical students. As for the other courses, I suppose if your course syllabus requires you to know briefly about some diseases (eg. The pathogenesis, treatment plan, diagnostic investigations etc.), then BMJ may be helpful to you too.

4.   Would you recommend this database to your colleagues and why?
Yes, I would recommend this database to my colleagues. First of all, it has helped me with my studies, especially for PBLs. It is also highly recommended by me because of its simplicity, accuracy and depth of knowledge. This database can be your first go-to site for an introduction to the disease, then if you would wish to explore further you can move on to databases like UpToDate or Dynamed.

Reviewer’s name: Toh Ee Syuen

No comments:

Post a Comment